The Health Council of Canada reports on the progress of health care renewal in Canada. We provide a pan-Canadian, system-wide perspective on health care reform, with an emphasis on identifying the best practices and innovation that make health care renewal possible.
In the 2003 First Ministers’ Accord on Health Care Renewal and the 2004 10-Year Plan to Strengthen Health Care , Canada’s First Ministers* committed to making improvements to the health care system in several priority areas.
The Health Council monitors and reports on progress made towards fulfilling the accord commitments in these key areas:
- Aboriginal Health
- Access to Care in the North
- Access and Wait Times
- Electronic Health Records
- Health Human Resources
- Health Promotion
- Health Status and Health Outcomes
- Home and Community Care
- Pharmaceuticals Management
- Primary Health Care
* “First Ministers” are the provincial and territorial premiers, and the Prime Minister.